Monday, July 18, 2011

Markers

For the most part Audrey knows that the markers are not supposed to be out when Ellie is awake. And generally when I put things on the counter Ellie doesn't get into them. But she is getting taller and using things to be taller (chairs) and can reach more and more things on the counter. And while I thought I was good and set that box of markers and colored pencils on the counter before I left the girls with daddy for a little while. And the girls were just going to nicely watch tv.

I was just about headed home when I get a slightly upset call from daddy. Ellie just walked in, covered in marker. Audrey is sitting on her bed until you get home. So get home now. I say I am on my way, I was actually in the car starting it when he called.

As far as I know when I get home Audrey is sitting on her bed getting a nicely deserved time out and Ellie needs a bath. So I stand outside and talk to the neighbor for a little while and then Audrey opens the door and out she comes and Ellie follows.

I soon find out that Audrey had a bloody nose during her time out and needs blankets washed and she herself needs a bath. And Ellie needs to have some pics taken because this is just too funny to let go :) so enjoy!







During the bathing I noticed the skies outside were glowing. So I went out to see this last shot. It was a bit more orange than what I caught but I think this still shows the moment. The cool thing about this kind of sunset is that it makes all the colors outside seem sharper. Greens greener and so on. I wish I could have figured out how to capture that. But my camera skills are lacking and probably so are my camera's.... :)

2 comments:

gilian said...

So you know that thing that moms always say about how one day their kids will grow up and have kids who are just like them and be hard on their parents, right?

I never really thought that about my kids.

But I am so totally laughing every time I think about this because as I'm sure you know, Audrey's daddy colored his sister when they were probably almost the same ages as your girls are now. With red lipstick. While they were supposed to be napping, but he slipped out of bed and into the bathroom and found a bright RED lipstick that my gramma had given to me. That I'd never even opened before. And he colored every bit of her skin that was not under her blankets. So, both of her arms and armpits, between her fingers, across her bellybutton where her shirt was separated from her shorts, her neck, her ears, her face, including her nose and eyelids. How she slept through it, I'll never know. But she had red eyeliner and red snot for weeks after or so it seemed.

That was the last time I hollered at one of my kids. I realized after I raised my voice at him (you know, telling him it was not okay to color his sister) that I was scaring him, or it seemed that way to me and I just knew I couldn't bear to have my kids afraid of me.

Then when Stu told me about Audrey's bloody nose, I smiled to myself--glad it wasn't like when he was a kid and could tell everybody that his mom gave him a bloody nose. Twice.

What goes around comes around...

Shi said...

:D My mom just informed me of a time when I got a hold of a permanent marker and colored the walls. So apparently the girlies got it from both of us :)