Saturday, April 02, 2011

Michigan adventures part 1

Here is a video of our first day in Michigan this last February... I did tell you more was to come :) During the drive in Michigan down by the Illinois border it started raining. As we drove north the rain started to freeze, the roads progressively got slushier, and finally turned very snowy. It got cold fast and got snowy fast... we only slid, kind of, off the road once thanks to my Grandpa driving. He has much more experience driving in Michigan snow than I do. We counted a total of 10 cars (I believe) off the road a few tipped over and 1 flipped all the way over. All this while the snow melted and then froze to our windshield. We had to pull over a few times and scrape the ice off of the windshield.(When we got to Harbor Springs we were informed that there had been a 50 car pile up on the road we had been driving on, I think it was probably behind us.) In any case we stopped at my Grandpa's Sister's house (Aunt Karlene), and she and her husband were gracious enough to let us stay the night and wait out the storm.


I had never met my Aunt Karlene and I instantly felt comfortable with her. When I first walked in to her house and saw her I felt like I was looking at my Great Grandma (her mom). She told us that she knows that she looks like her mom. So I don't feel to bad saying that. But anyway, I felt like she could have been my Grandma. She and her husband were both very friendly. And it was wonderful to stay in their home. I can't even explain how instantly at ease I felt in their house and how completely comfortable I felt there as well. I can only hope that I can make my own home as comfortable, calm, and inviting as their home was to me. Their house is tucked back into the woods in Northern Michigan and right across the street from their driveway is an entrance to the beach and Lake Michigan. I will leave you here and post more videos later.
:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting these up!