Monday, May 25, 2009

Graveyards filled with flowers and the livings memories

We went walking through a couple of Graveyards today. Visiting the graves of loved ones past. Audrey wanted to stop at all of the flowers, play with all the little windmill things, and take all of the little balloons she could see. She was loving it, being out side with Mommy, Daddy, Mama (Grandma), Bapa (Grandpa), Great Mama, and Great Bapa.

While we were visiting a few of the graves I was looking around to see the other names of others loved ones. At my feet I saw a sight that I haven't seen since visiting graveyards when I was younger and with my parents searching for lost relatives gravestones. We went to many a graveyard when I was younger, and many of them were very old and had gravestones that were cracking and that were hard to read and so forth.

This little gravestone that I saw today made me pause and contemplate a few things. It was just a little square, a simple marker. With the name Daniel, I believe. This poor little marker had been shattered and had grass growing up amid the cracks. The name hadn't been chiseled in like most markers. It had been put on there with stickers. Little black stickers. And most of them had come off of the stone. I couldn't make out the last name and the only part of the date on the stone that we could see was 1940 something...

Looking at this little stone made me a little sad, surrounded by all these beautiful flowers on other peoples graves, and here no one was around to take care of this little stone. So I showed it to Stu, who tried to removes some of the grass that was growing up through the stone, which only caused the pieces of the stone to move a bit, and we sat and gave a silent moment to this one person.

I don't know if they care that no one comes to visit them. Or that their stone is in such disrepair. But we thought of you today Daniel, and I hope you are doing well.

No comments: